This is sketchy and from an "old" program I could dig out...

Example program, upon calling, may come up with a loaded subfile.

You need a field in your dds to use so your program always "knows"
where the subfile is at...
Or is so your program "sets" it ...?

Anyway, if you're drawing a complete blank, playing with this
"should" get you headed where you want to go.

I can't get at the computer this is actually on but I'm
99.9% sure this is a "sticky" program. (drop/fold-wise)

--------------
RPG program...
--------------

      * <main display logic...)
      *
      *
     C                   DOW       *INLR = *OFF
      *
      *
     C                   EXFMT     HEADER
      *
      *        Return subfile mode from screen
>>>  C                   EVAL      *IN60 = SFLMOD
      *
      *
      *    F3 = exit
      *
      *
      *    Enter = process stuff
      *
      *
      * = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
     C                   ENDDO
      * = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

      *
      * <snipping...>
      *
      *

     C     *INZSR        BEGSR
      *
      * <snipping...>
      *
      *        start w/ dropped/folded subfile depending on state
      *          of indicator when screen is written
      *
     C                   EVAL      SFLMOD = *ON
     C                   EVAL      *IN60 = SFLMOD
      *
      * <snipping...>
      *
      *
      *  Load subfile etc...
      *
     C                   ENDSR

--------------
DDS for RPG program...
--------------

     A*
     A*         ----------
     A          R DETAIL                    SFL
     A*         ----------
     A*
     A*
     A*    drop/folded fields....
     A*
     A*
     A*

     A*         ----------
     A          R HEADER                    SFLCTL(DETAIL)
     A*         ----------
     A                                      OVERLAY
     A***                                   CSRLOC(ROWNBR COLNBR)
     A N34                                  ROLLUP(25)
     A N35                                  ROLLDOWN(26)
     A                                      SFLSIZ(0012)
     A                                      SFLPAG(0004)
     A  31                                  SFLDSP
     A  32                                  SFLDSPCTL
     A  33                                  SFLCLR
     A  34                                  SFLEND(*MORE)
>>>  A  60                                  SFLDROP(CA11)
>>>  A N60                                  SFLFOLD(CA11)
>>>  A                                      SFLMODE(&SFLMOD)
     A*
     A                                      CF03(03 'Exit')
     A***                                   CF05(05 'Refresh')
     A                                      CF12(12 'Exit')
     A                                      CF15(15 'List by
Item/Desc-Item')
     A                                      CF17(17 'Subset List')
     A**
     A**
     A**
>>>  A            SFLMOD         1A  H
     A*
     A*
     A*
     A*     Screen title field line 1
     A*
     A*     Header/Control fields
     A*
     A*
     A*         ----------
     A          R TRAILER
     A*         ----------
     A*
     A*  other function key desdriptions...
     A*
     A                                 23 11'F11=Drop/Fold'
     A                                      COLOR(BLU)
     A*
     A*
     A*

hth
John B.

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:49:54 -0800 (PST)
from: G Armour <garmour400r@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Can't get SFLFOLD/SFLDROP to "stick"

I'm doing my first subfile with SFLFOLD/SFLDROP since probably ten years
ago.  I
remember the SFLFOLD/SFLDROP a real PITA back then, and it hasn't gotten any
better
now.

The problem that I can't seem to easily get past is that I can't get the
FOLD or the
DROP to "stick".  I've got a 2-line subfile record.  The default is to show
just the
first line ("dropped").  The user presses F7 to switch between DROP and
FOLD.  As
long as I'm scrolling within the subfile, I'm fine.  But as soon as I hit a
function
key, or scroll past the top or bottom of the subfile (i.e., control returns
program and program EXFMTs the control record), it reverts back to DROP.

The workaround I've devised seems to be a real kludge:

Display file:
     A  24                                  SFLFOLD(CF24)
     A N24                                  SFLDROP(CF24)

RPG controls Fold/Drop:
     c                   When      FunctionKey = F07
     c                   If        *in24
     c                   Eval      *in24 = *Off
     c                   Else
     c                   Eval      *in24 = *On
     c                   EndIf

Basically, F7 is strictly used to switch the value of *IN24, which controls
SFLFOLD/SFLDROP.   F24 isn't described to the user, although there's nothing
that
keeps him or her from using it.  But if they do, the subfile reverts back to
DROP
upon the next EXFMT.

I'm fairly sure it has to do with the fact that all defined function keys
are set
off (except the one pressed by the user) upon the EXFMT input.
SFLFOLD/SFLDROP
requires a valid CAnn or CFnn key, so there's no way to prevent a user from
inadvertantly using it.  I tried to no-op it, but it didn't work:
     A  24N24                               CF24

Is it supposed to be this hard?  Please advise.

TIA, GA