Bob said:

>    I've always said, if you must use optimization use *BASIC with RPG as
>    using *FULL will take more time to compile than you will every save in
>    runtime performance. :)

You are more right than you know, Bob.  In my commercial experience (not
scientific computing) fine-tuning program code in the form of choosing this
operation code over that (Z-ADD vs MOVE) or this data type over that (packed
vs zoned vs int) can result in improvements in the 50% range.  Fine tuning
I/O (as in not reading all the fields in the MAPICS item master, but
creating a logical which has only the few fields you need) commonly and
easily results in improvements orders of magnitude in size.

Personally, I like to see benchmarks like Steve is doing.  I _like_ knowing
what is happening under the covers.  But when I'm given an application that
can use a performance boost, I always start at the I/O.
  --buck