I remember Barbara Morris was quoting that v5r2 does not allow starting JVM via
JNI, once it is ended in the same job stream.
The below IBM link says only one JVM can be started per job, but doesn't
explicitly mentions above issue.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/rzaq9.pdf
Java programming changes
Prior to V5R2, it would be possible for the JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs function to
return more than one Java virtual machine in its list of Java virtual machines.
In
V5R2, the JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs returns at most one Java virtual machine.

Prior to V5R2, the JNI_CreateJavaVM function could be called repeatedly within a
single process, and with each successful invocation a separate and distinct Java
virtual machine was created. In V5R2, the JNI_CreateJavaVM function returns an
error code (JNI_EEXIST -5 VM Already Created as defined in jni.h) whenever a
Java virtual machine has already been created in the current process.

Prior to V5R2, the DestroyJavaVM function destroyed the Java virtual machine
and returned
its resources to the process. In V5R2, the DestroyJavaVM function returns an
error code (JNI_ERR -1 error defined in jni.h).

Barbara (or somebody else knows this),
Could you clarify this, And answer following questions?

1) If I start JVM via JNI_CreateJavaVM, and end it via DestroyJavaVM, Can I
restart it with JNI_CreateJavaVM again? (I have been doing this, and so far
never had any problems in V5R1, may be I got lucky. Recently got v5r2 and I ran
OK too. But wanna make sure it wasn't a luck.)

2) If I start JVM via JNI_CreateJavaVM, and end Java ends JVM with
System.exit(n), Can I restart it with JNI_CreateJavaVM again?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Ali