V5R2 allows you to read the file directly into that data structure.  Prior
to that using a data structure on a read was limited to internally defined
file.  Look at the read opcode for V5R2.
And if you don't like prefix, there's always qualified.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Peter Vidal" <Peter_Vidal@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/29/2004 03:43 PM
Please respond to

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
Load a record into a data structure for DEBUGGING purposes.

I have looked around for this one:

I need a way to load a record from a file:
FMPSSum    uf a e           k disk

Into a data structure (maybe something like this):
D MPSDs         e ds                  extname(MPSSum)

So when I do debug, I can see all field values by saying EVAL MPSDS for
example.

The problem is that the compiler is not allowing me to do this because the
field
names are already defined.  Of course, I have the fields all "spreaded" in
the
calculations and then I write/update the record.  "However, I need to
debug the
data and I want to be able to see it all and not by individual EVAL
commands.

I have the impression that I read, maybe in the list, that is possible to
import
data from a record into a specific data structure.

Any ideas?  TIA,

Peter Vidal
Pall Aeropower Corp.
SR Programmer Analyst
WWW.Pall.com
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior
spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive
with our frail and feeble mind."
Albert Einstein