rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
From the RPG reference I see
num1 = 27 + %dec (%float(num1)/num3 : %len(num1) : %decpos(num1));

So, in my RPGLE program I try:
     D MyChar          s             15a   inz('  015.7503 ')
     D MyDec           s             15p 5

     C/FREE
       MyDec=%dec(MyChar : %len(MyDec) : %decpos(MyDec));
RNF0328S The second parameter for %DEC or %DECH is not valid.
RNF0329S The third parameter for %DEC or %DECH is not valid.

Is this a ptf issue or documentation issue?

Rob Berendt

Documentation issue.

Well, technically it is something that should work but doesn't. But all of us in the compiler development team have tried to fix the problem and failed. So until some drastic change is made to the architecture of expression handling in the compiler, call it a permanent restricton.

By the way, I believe it does work if you specify named constants as the 2nd and 3rd arguments to %DEC where the named constants are defined as %LEN(MYDEC) and %DECPOS(MYDEC).

Cheers! Hans