Scott:

The C program is outside of my control; i.e., I'm only allowed to call it, I
cannot change it. I will call the C program from RPG and it outputs to STDOUT.
After returning to RPG, I will run through the output to STDOUT to see if
anything else needs to be done.

For reasons that are also outside of my control, QShell is a strong
"last-resort only"; so I'm looking for redirection alternatives. Since QShell
can redirect so easily, it's frustrating that there's no other clear method
except for OVRxxxx. Technically, if QShell can do it, I should be able to do it
too. (...he said optimistically.)

Archive searches showed that STDOUT could be overridden as a printer file. And
Steve Landess reminded me that printer files can be overridden to database
files which is something I quit doing long enough ago that I'd nearly forgotten
was possible. Although a more pure redirection to a streamfile would be
cleanest for my needs, going through a PF is reasonable.

Now the question is becoming more academic. Are there programmatic ways to
control redirection? No need to pipe the results into RPG; I just want to
control the output location. From what I've seen, the answer is currently "No,
except for OVRPRTF for STDOUT and similar." Simply grasping for straws. Ya'
never know.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta