Tom,

>I'm kind of hazy about it but I think it went something like this:

Close.  Instead of // DATA, it had the normal // RUN.  Then the utility program
started reading records from the OCL (or keyboard) until // END was detected.
Lots of SSP utility programs did this, not just $MAINT.  Most of them did,
including #GSORT.  User RPG programs could even do by using IBM-supplied
assembler subroutine SUBR01 which provided "sys in" support.

>With the result that your file then contained those records.

Not really.  The result was that each line was passed as input to the utility
program to do with as it pleased.  In the case of $MAINT, it would look for
records beginning // COPY ... and parse out the member name etc and populate a
library member until it reached // CEND, but that was just because that is what
$MAINT did with the data it got.  SysIn processing just provided to the caller
the contents of the next line of system input -- the interpreted OCL procedure
(if in a proc) or from the keyboard if the program was loaded directly from the
keyboard.

>I only need to
>enter a half dozen records or so and I don't want to use DFU or EDTF.  Is
>there a similar function on the 400?  Any ideas on some other method?

There are numerous ways to accomplish different objectives.  How about
explaining the scenario of what you are trying to do, and someone can give
suitable recommendations.

Doug