Bob cozzi wrote:

Of course the way to fix that is to do this:

While NOT %EOF(mafileL6)
ReadE Tk421 MaFileL6;
// do whatever here... OnEvent %EOF(maFileL6)
Leave;
Enddo;

The "ON" clause of the WHILE sets up an condition similar to the MONITOR
opcode. When the condition occurs,t he code inside the OnEvent opcode is
performed; hence the loop is exited. Okay, so this is just more of my wishful thinking, Hans. :)

In the realm of "wishful thinking", actually, the syntax I'd like to see is:

      DOW MASTS <> 'A';
          READE TKMANO MAFILEL6
          LEAVE WHEN %EOF(MAFILEL6);
      ENDDO;

But then again, that starts looking like Perl! ;-)

Oh yeah, then there's that feature of some truly advanced programming languages where you can code an ELSE on a DO WHILE loop. Would you like to see this in RPG?

      DOW MASTS <> 'A';
          READE TKMANO MAFILEL6
          IF %EOF(MAFILEL6);
              LEAVE;  // That is, continue at code following ENDDO.
          ENDIF;
      ELSE;
          // Code to perform when we get to MASTS='A'
      ENDDO;

Cheers! Hans