From: rpg400-l-bounces+cozzi=rpgiv.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces+cozzi=rpgiv.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 9:53 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: conditioning indicator on an ENDDO

Hans,

I did look it up, but in the RPGLE manual.  I figured the rules would be
the same, so I didn't think to look in the rpg400 manual.

all it said (and I looked at both conditioning indicators and end(XX)
sections) was that conditioning indicators were optional for enddo, but not
valid for any other.

Thanks to all for confirming my suspicions

btw, I would have done it this way, but then i've never been accused to my
face of being 'enlightened' ;)

reade TKMANO MAFILEL6;

dow not %eof(mafilel6) and MASTS <> 'A';
  reade TKMANO MAFILEL6;
enddo;

I hope this starts another semi-monthly 'dow with priming read or dou'
arguement!!!
<ducking>

rick

--------Hans said:---------
rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Given the following code,
>
>  C           MASTS     DOWNE'A'                      =
>  C           TKMANO    READEMAFILEL6                 40
>  C  N40                ENDDO
>
> does this mean the loop is left at EOF (or a proper read with MASTS <>
> 'A')?
>
> (yeah, I know, it's UGLY).

I for one had to look it up in the Reference manual. Yes, the loop exits
when *IN40 is on. I suppose these days more enlightened RPG programmers
would code that as:

      DOW MASTS <> 'A';
          READE TKMANO MAFILEL6
          IF %EOF(MAFILEL6);