From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 2:24 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: RPG.NET

>> From: Steve Richter
>> In such a setting, .NET and the
>> iSeries is far superior to java and the iSeries.

>If .NET had an equivalent package to IBM's Java Toolbox, you might be
>able to say .NET has similar capabilites.

true.  to a point.

>  But the toolbox allows a
>greater interaction between a JVM and the iSeries than any other
>technique.

the client access APIs are all accessible thru PInvoke.  But yes, .NET
component classes for AS400 would be better.

>Add to that the fact that any code you write in Java can
>then be used as a component in a web application running servlets and
>JavaServer Pages, and Java is still a better bang for the buck.

ASP.NET interacts with the .NET framework just like C# windows appl code
does. I dont know for sure, but I think the claim can be made that a lot of
your windows application code can be shared with the ASP.NET web server
code.

>Throw
>in WDSci and the WebSphere Test Environment, and Microsoft still has a
>little way to go as far as a development framework.

Visual Studio .NET is highly programable.

>On the other hand, given the large amount of VB knowledge out there,
>thick client applications have a leg up in the .NET environment.
>However, as far as I've been able to tell over the last few years, thick
>client development is losing mindshare to browser-based applications.

I would add that the MS people are very smart and judging by their record of
reinventing  and improving their products, they must be highly compensated.
My guess is that a MS employed developer earns a lot more than a similar IBM
employee.

>So my position right now is that for web applications, the JVM is still
>the place to be, while if you're developing a Windows thick client, .NET
>has a lot to offer.

Dont leave out apps that interact with excel spreadsheets, mail clients and
word documents. MS has done an excellent job from the days of OLE and even
DDE on that front.  .NET is much better that Java in that setting.

Is it fair to say the iSeries developer has to know RPG for iSeries apps,
Java for web apps and .NET for windows client apps?   That is too much by
at least one.  Something has to give.

-Steve