Sehr geehrter Herr Hans,

> Rich Duzenbury wrote:

>> So why not get rid of this 'embedded' idea?  So far as I know, it's the
>> only architecture that tries to compile the SQL statements in to the
>> program.
>>
>> I'm sure python can access an SQL database without having to use an SQL
>> preprocessor.  Java doesn't use this preprocessor idea does it? I use
>> perl quite a bit on intel platforms, and it's no trouble to get access:
>>
>> my $dbh = connect();
>>
>> # Get last name, first name from the table
>> my $sth = $dbh->prepare( "SELECT ulnam, ufnam FROM person") ;
>>
>> $sth->execute;
>>
>> while ($row = $sth->fetchrow_hashref) {
>>     # do stuff with each row
>>     print $row->{ulnam}, "\n";
>>     print $row->{ufnam}, "\n";
>> }
>>
>> Frankly, I've been turned off from even trying to write SQL code on the
>> iSeries because of all of this problematic stuff I keep hearing about
>> the SQL preprocessor.  And, few of my clients have the extra SQL
>> licensed program.
>>
>> I would really like to have SQL access from RPG that's as much of a
>> no-brainer as the perl code above.
>>

> I think the main issue is performance. I believe the process of
> precompiling the SQL results in a more efficient means of performing the
> SQL queries, which is often an important consideration for programmers
> who choose static compiled languages, like C, RPG, and COBOL.

> But yeah, I agree - for flexibility, you can't beat an interpreted
> language, like Python or Perl. I like how you can easily construct a
> query dynamically in Python, and get the results back in a list along
> with another list that describes the columns returned. Of course the
> cost of that flexibility is run-time performance. But personally I think
> the dynamic nature of SQL makes it a natural match for dynamic languages
> like Perl or Python.

> Sure, if you want, you can do SQL programming in RPG without having to
> use the preprocessor, using the SQL CLI. But I'm not sure if anyone has
> given up on the SQL prep in favor of using the CLI.

If i'm not completely wrong, the Net.Data developers did that.

Creating an interpreted script language for the DB2.

Not only for OS/400, but for OS/390, AIX, OS/2, Linux, Solaris, Other
Unices, HP-UX.

The concept of the "language environments" is very interesting. (XRPG?
eXtendable RPG? Bad? :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / best regards

Anton Gombkötö