Malchow, Grizzly wrote:

I have a question about Input Primary and Input Secondary files. I'll
first show the F and I specs.

FFILEA IP E k Disk Prefix( Inp )

FFILEB IS E k Disk Prefix( Stp )

IFORMATA 01

I InpPARENT L1

IFORMATB 02

I StpPARENT L1

I StpCHILD L2

These 2 files have parent/child relationships in them. I'm trying to
figure out which parent/child relationships are in FILEA, but not in
FILEB and vice versa. I also need to check certain fields of those
parent/child relationships that are in both of the 2 files. The only
thing I know about using Input Primary and Input Secondary files is that
I don't have to use a READ operation, so can someone give me a crash
course about this and can someone tell me if what I have so far is a
step in the right direction? I think I need an InpCHILD L2 I spec for
FORMATA, but I'm not sure. And finally, Can the RPG cycle be used in a
sub procedure? I didn't think it could. Can someone tell me if I'm right
or wrong about that?

Thanks in advance and happy Thanksgiving.

Griz

Thanksgiving? You're about 6 weeks late by my calendar! ;-)

But to the question at hand, unless you have a specific requirement to implement this using the RPG cycle (such as a class assignment), I'd write an SQL query for such a task.

If you absolutely *have* to use the cycle, then read the section on match fields in your textbook. You want to know when there's a match between primary and secondary, not when there's a level break.

Cheers! Hans