But to divert into the realm of "wild and crazy ideas", apart from SQL, the thought occurred to me that it might be possible to add some framework into the RPG compiler to implement a sort of generalized processing of 3rd party embedded statements. That is, if you coded something like "exec xyz ...;", exits for component "XYZ" would be invoked which would return RPG statements to include in place of the exec statement. Anyways, I seriously doubt if anything will come out of such flights of fancy since it would need a lot of work in the compiler, but it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Cheers! Hans

So why not get rid of this 'embedded' idea? So far as I know, it's the only architecture that tries to compile the SQL statements in to the program.

I'm sure python can access an SQL database without having to use an SQL preprocessor. Java doesn't use this preprocessor idea does it? I use perl quite a bit on intel platforms, and it's no trouble to get access:

my $dbh = connect();

# Get last name, first name from the table
my $sth = $dbh->prepare( "SELECT ulnam, ufnam FROM person") ;

$sth->execute;

while ($row = $sth->fetchrow_hashref) {
    # do stuff with each row
    print $row->{ulnam}, "\n";
    print $row->{ufnam}, "\n";
}

Frankly, I've been turned off from even trying to write SQL code on the iSeries because of all of this problematic stuff I keep hearing about the SQL preprocessor. And, few of my clients have the extra SQL licensed program.

I would really like to have SQL access from RPG that's as much of a no-brainer as the perl code above.

Regards,
Rich