Hans,
The Python developer, since Python is an interpreted language, only has to
worry about their customer's upgrading to the new Python runtime. They don't
have to change operating system levels to use it.
That is my point. The runtime should be available back to a reasonable
release level. I'm suggesting Version boundaries. If I have to buy or
subscribe and install a new version of the compiler with the new features,
I'm all for that.
I see two directions here:
1) Let me pay you for the V5R3 compiler to install on my V5R1 machine.
2) Let me pay you for the V5R3 compiler and require it to be used on the
V5R3 machine, but allow the runtime (compiled code) to work back to V5R1.

Option 1 is my preference, obviously because shops can take advantage of the
new features right away.
Option 2 is a compromise that I would agree with since it would allow
software to be written with the new features and yet still run on a few back
releases.

As to the TGTRLS support, with the new technique you could just drop it. Why
worry about supporting/shipping TGTRLS V4R5 if you're not supporting it?
Should there ever be a move to 128-bit architecture and things like numeric
field lengths are different, then yes, an architecture-level "TGTRLS" type
thing would be viable, otherwise, the hell with it.

Bob Cozzi
Cozzi Consulting
www.rpgiv.com