Booth,

I'm really neither agreeing nor disagreeing.  I definitely think it all
deserves discussion.  However, we in IBM midrange think about database
design diferently that other parts of the world, and I think these
differences can cause unintended problems sometimes.

Unique primary keys are not what most of us use on the iSeries.  We use
unique compound keys, where the combination of many factors (keys) work
together to define a unique row.  Unique primary keys are a single field
that describes a unique row.  These are commonly implemented as UUIDs, or
possibly as auto-incrementing value for such things as order number and
whatnot...

You are right that we commonly have to "force" uniqueness for a file when
someone has not followed the rules properly, or the application design has
changed.  The old "sequence#" subkey is the most common fix that I've seen,
but this can cause some nasty surprises.

Personally, I like the use of compound keys, but it's one of those YMMV
issues.  I think that most shops fail to use "Unique" keyword in DDS,
because they don't like trapping for I/O errors.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)
940-898-7863 or ext. 1863