On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Booth Martin wrote:

> Why does my new procedure that will run QCMDEXC need two parms in?  Why can
> t I just send the command and let the new procedure determine the command's
> length?

I haven't completely followed this thread -- but unless I missed it, you
haven't created any procedures yet.  You just used a prototype to call
QCMDEXC instead of a PLIST.

If you wanted to write a wrapper procedure for QCMDEXC, you wouldn't need
to pass a length, you could just let the procedure figure it out.
Here's an example:

     H DFTACTGRP(*NO)

     D do_cmd          PR             1N
     D   cmdstring                 3000A   const varying

     D Error           s              1N

      /free
           Error = do_cmd('SNDMSG MSG(''EEEK'') TOUSR(KLEMSCOT)');
           if Error;
              dsply 'Error!';
           endif;
           *inlr = *on;
      /end-free

     P do_cmd          B
     D do_cmd          PI             1N
     D   cmdstring                 3000A   const varying

     D qcmdexc         PR                  ExtPgm('QCMDEXC')
     D   command                   3000A   const options(*varsize)
     D   length                      15P 5 const

     c                   callp(e)  qcmdexc(cmdstring: %len(cmdstring))
     c                   if        %error
     c                   return    *OFF
     c                   else
     c                   return    *ON
     c                   endif

     P                 E

Just keep in mind that if you're doing something call-stack related (such
as sending a program message, or doing an OVRDBF, etc) that a subprocedure
adds another level to the call stack.