From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of G Armour
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 10:11 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Benefits of Sub-procedures

--- Buck <buck.calabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For a very first step, I would omit the *MODULE and put the entire
procedure
> in one /COPY member while putting the PR in another /COPY member (I use
> QPROTOSRC for that.  Thanks to David Morris for the suggestion!)  So, I'd
> have 3 source members:
<snip>

Thanks for laying that out, Buck!  For the little I know about procedures,
this
would seem to be a good way to get the feet wet, but nothing more.  I have
not yet
seen any responses (if there are any) to my post yesterday, but wouldn't one
want to
move quickly to service programs as opposed to coding inline sub-procs?

I have a thing or two against using /COPY.  No version control.  Library /
File
names get changed, will all the programs that use /COPYs get modified to
reflect
this?  (Or will some poor sap discover years down the road that /COPY
LIB/FILE(MEMBER) is no longer, and good luck finding it.)  Given the choice
of using
/COPY or including the procedure source in the main program's source member,
I'd
always take the latter.  But given the choice between that and service
programs, I
think I'd always (usually?) take service programs.  My thing against /COPY
is just
opinion only, based on my experience.  No holy war please.

GA