He probably pasted it wrong and really does have the right number of
parenthesis in his code.
It's amazing how many people pasted corrections and still got it wrong.
Marvin at least got the same number of lefts and rights.  Still in the
wrong positions though.  For example, %editc(mynum:'X') is valid right? If
so, then what does (%editc(mynum:'X') do?  Granted my last example has the
wrong number of parenthesis.  I am just showing you that Marvin stuffed
them in the middle somewhere because if the last right parenthesis matches
the %editc then what matches the parenthesis on the left of the %editc?

However, if it is a parenthesis issue then
parms.transNo = %editc(%dec(transNo:%size(transNo):0) + 1:'X');
is the fix.

The fix to Marvin's solution would be the following:
parms.transNo = (%editc(%dec(transNo:(%size(transNo):0) + 1):'X'));
Notice the left before the %size, and the right at the end?

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"Marvin Taber" <mtaber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/20/2003 02:28 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Can somebody explain this to me?????

Robert,

I'd try this.

parms.transNo = (%editc(%dec(transNo:%size(transNo):0) + 1):'X');

Marvin

                      Robert Upshall
                      <rupshall@psasoft.        To:
"\"rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx\"" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      com>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Can somebody
explain this to me?????
                      rpg400-l-bounces@m
                      idrange.com

                      10/20/2003 11:56
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      RPG programming on
                      the AS400 /
                      iSeries

I have to blocks of code that do the exact same thing(I think), one uses
2 steps the other does it all in one line.  The 2 step example works,
the 1 line does not.

os400 = v5r2m0
parms.transNo is 10A
transNo is 10A
wrk is 10S0

2 steps:

 wrk  = (%dec(transNo:%size(transNo):0) + 1);
 parms.transNo = %editc(wrk:'X');

1 step:

 parms.transNo = %editc%dec(transNo:%size(transNo):0) + 1:'X');

Basicly the code is attempting to read transaction number of 10 alpha,
increment it return it.  When is returned I want it padded with leading
zeros.  I want to use the 1 step approach so that I do not need to
define wrk field, I want to be able to increase or decrease transNo and
using the like keyword have it reflected throughout my code.

Robert