 >> Why don't my typos get flagged and auto corrected, given the context of
the files referenced and fields defined??

jt - To some extent this is present in the auto-complete functions in WDSc -
but will not happen in SEU and in fact (given that SEU works in block mode)
would be next to impossible to implement and I wouldn't want it even if it
did because it would be so nasty.

You are also (by accident or design) ignoring a couple of major differences
between writing programs and writing letters etc.  Auto complete works in
Word because the language (i.e. words) that can be used are known i.e. the
English language.  In a program you constantly "make up" words.  Often these
"words" are invented as you write the calcs and you define them later.
Auto-complete doesn't help here because the names will often reflect the
names of the "root" fields with which the new ones are associated and would
therefore be auto-miscorrected as often as not.

 >> I would suggest that this could be implemented a LOT easier than
implementing syntax-checking of /FREE

I doubt it - besides the resources are from different "pots" - things like
the syntax checker are part of RPG development - the kind of functionality
you are asking for is very much part of the editor.  Compiler writers and
tool developers are not interchangeable.  Certainly compiler writers can
often turn their hand to tool building, but it is a rare tool builder that
makes a successful transition to compiler waiting - different mind-set.

Re Polls:

Since I was the first to initiate these within RPG development to the best
of my knowledge, I think I can comment to some extent on their usefulness
etc.

First of all they are not distributed _only_ to this list but to many lists,
and at least in my day to attendees at User Group meetings, COMMON, IBM Tech
Conference and other such gatherings of the clans.  In my experience the
vast majority of RPG programmers who do not attend/participate in such
lists/conferences are for the most part still coding RPG400 and using mostly
only the RPG II features so even if one could reach them (how exactly would
one do that?) their opinions would not be of much value since they have
little or no awareness of what RPG IV offers in the first place.

Secondly the list is built from a wide range of sources.  For example,
comments on lists like this that indicate people are having to jump through
hoops to achieve what should be simple, ideas that arise when discussing
requirements with customers, formal requests from the field/customers for
enhancements, ideas that the compiler team think would be useful, etc. etc.

Third.  While the compiler team often have very strong ideas on what
should/should not be done, they have proven over and over again that they
will change designs if people don't like the proposals (/Free being a good
example) and have frequently changed the priority of items based on user
feedback.

Fourth.  Polling data is used to _help_ establish priorities.  We all have
to do that when we have a fixed budget.    By assigning dollar figures to
the shopping list the compiler team get an idea of where their development
efforts would be most appreciated. I have heard of quite a few people who
have taken the approach the compiler team use and applied it very
successfully with their user community.  Interestingly it has helped some
get more $ in their budgets!  By the way, notice the emphasis on "help" - it
is not the be all and end all.  The compiler team ultimately make the
decision but the data is very valuable when you can only afford to do one
thing and are uncertain which would be of most use to an RPG programmer.

JT - Since you are big on meeting and talking to other programmers - I
routinely talk to hundreds of RPG programmers in every conceivable type of
RPG shop.  I conduct on-going discussion by e-mail with programmers around
the world including many who are "stuck" in RPG III.  I have found the votes
surprising at times - but mostly to be a good reflection of what I am seeing
in the field.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com