There are a few details you've yet to consider, Buck.

| I would expect the compiler to match the
| parameter size
| and type to locate the proper procedure.  So, the getName in the vendor
| service program expects a 5/0 number, the getName in the G/L
| module expects
| a 12/0 number and the getName procedure in the Inventory module
| expects a 10
| character parameter.  I hope that helps explain what I was thinking about.
|
| And yes, I realise that it is very possible that ther would STILL be a
| problem if the Customer number, Item number and Vendor numbers were all
| numeric 5/0.  How would the overloading work then?  It wouldn't.
| But I was
| just trying to show that the concept of overloading procedures
| actually can
| apply to real world business needs, and is not just a topic for
| lectures at
| university.
|
| Groetjes!  (I hope I got that right)

Nice touch!  :-D

I hadn't noticed.  When you get flamed nearly as much as I have today, then
come back and we can compare points, Buck.

| > Just MHO, but this is not exactly what procedure
| > overloading is for. These are very specific examples.
|
| Yes you are quite right!  I just dreamt up a quick 'what if'.  I say
| 'dreamt' because I can't do this today in RPG.
|
| > monthName = getMonthName( myDate );
| > monthName = getMonthName( myTimestamp );
|
| Much clearer than mine.  I am NOT fluent in other (overload-capable)
| languages, and it's good to see posts from others on this topic.
| Which has
| drifted considerably from the original subject! :-)

Yeah, a bit.  So what?

Let me get this right:

You believe that

1)  name=getName(object, whatEverKey)

is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than:

2)  name=getName("Vendor", whatEverKey)
3)  name=getVendorName(VendorKey)

When 2 and 3 are available as of a few releases ago??

PLEASE don't try to convince me #1 is easier, and saves time and money,
unless you wanna debate the article I referred to.

I never said you couldn't TRY REAL HARD to make up a use for procedure
overloading, Buck.  That's entirely different than making a business case
for the so-called NECESSITY, for business apps.

As far as the monthName example, it would be easy enough to pass the parm as
numeric data, and compare the length.  Can do that as of a few releases ago,
also.  The question, and how this constitutes discussion on THIS topic:

How's about an editor that is as good as Word 3.0, before we go for
procedure overloading???