On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 16:54, jt wrote:
> I don't have time to be anything but blunt, at the moment.  I wanna debunk
> THIS myth, however:

That's the longest blunt message I've ever read.

> You think procedure overloading is anywhere even CLOSE to a necessity in
> **business application** design??   If you took a poll of ALL the RPG coders
> (and I mean every last stinking one of us, not the people who frequent these
> lists) then making RPG more object-orientated would be SO far behind
> improving SEU that it wouldn't EVEN show UP as a choice on the poll!!!

I'm not going to turn this into a holy war.  I've used WSDc5.0 and SEU
and I still prefer SEU, so I'm a bit of a relic on that point, but hey,
I like vi too and I still think NotePad is the best IDE around.  That
being said, I don't expect IBM to do one darn thing for SEU as long as
they don't take it away.  It is unreasonable to expect them to upgrade
SEU.

> I'm not gonna be popular with this list, of course, but imo (and I'm
> *fairly* certain the opinion of the VAST majority of ALL RPG coders) you
> wasted a lotta resources implementing /FREE, before you EVEN thought through
> how to effectively syntax-check the stuff.

So who are you, Don Quixote?  You are right, you won't be very popular
here, at least not with me.  I've read lots of quality posts complaining
about /free, but if IBM's statistics and polls are worthless what does
that make yours?  I quit reading Midrange-l because I got tired of
deleteing 20 tirades from you a day.  Go eat up someone else's
bandwidth.

> I apologize to those on this list, and IBM, who actually believe that
> operator-overloading and object-RPG is a necessity for business application
> design...  It isn't.
>
> Good tools are.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?  No one said anything
about operator overloading or "object-RPG".  I simply asked about being
able to vote for Procedure Overloading, a request that is not new to
anyone who does real ILE development.  I don't want to turn RPG into
Java, I have Java already if I want it.  I just want RPG to be up to
date and regardless of your "VAST" opinion we need procedure
overloading.

Joel