jt wrote:

| -----Original Message----- | [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Hans Boldt

| Joel: If we do that traditional RPG enhancement poll again, you'll
| have your chance to vote on it. But personally, I think we have
| enough good polling data to last us a couple more releases. For this
| item in particular, we do indeed already have a very good idea how
| popular it would be.
|
| Cheers! Hans

I don't have time to be anything but blunt, at the moment.  I wanna debunk
THIS myth, however:

You and a lotta folks at IBM are VERY SADLY *MISTAKEN* to believe you have a
"very good idea" of what the "average" user of RPG even DOES, Hans.  I
didn't get very far in college, but I got far enough to understand the
concept of how a *statistically random* sample can allow a small sample to
accurately measure the whole.  (You do NOT have a statistically random
sample with these polls, btw.)

You think procedure overloading is anywhere even CLOSE to a necessity in
**business application** design??   If you took a poll of ALL the RPG coders
(and I mean every last stinking one of us, not the people who frequent these
lists) then making RPG more object-orientated would be SO far behind
improving SEU that it wouldn't EVEN show UP as a choice on the poll!!!

I'm not gonna be popular with this list, of course, but imo (and I'm
*fairly* certain the opinion of the VAST majority of ALL RPG coders) you
wasted a lotta resources implementing /FREE, before you EVEN thought through
how to effectively syntax-check the stuff.

So you believe you have your finger on the pulse of the majority of RPG programmers? More so than Hans? Are you in a position to make such a claim? Do you not see the presumptuousness of your statements?

James Rich