I've looked at vi and emacs, but not used either.  (Have NOT hardly looked
at GUI version of emacs.)  This was my impression also.

| I have been
| around some Linux guys lately and they just scream through that
| thing to the
| point where I can't even see what they are typing as they navigate around.

Well, I've been told same as I navigate using SEU and QCMD, even as bad as
they both stink to high-heaven.  Still gaining proficiency in both, but it
didn't take years to become *fairly* proficient.. took days.

| For the most part I thing it is just different, not necessarily dreadful.

Well, some differences (like ease of gaining a level of proficiency) DO make
a difference.

| For me, I will use it to do minimal editing, but for writing code
| I am a GUI
| guy:-)

It doesn't absolutely take a GUI to open multiple sources for edit.  Doesn't
take a GUI do windows, either, nor to colorize source (just takes a space
between tokens, which in actual fact is necessary for readibility anyway).
SEU actually COULD have had these features a decade ago.