On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Walden H. Leverich III wrote:

> > Well, for mkdir you could just use the API... that'd be much easier...
>
> If the API worked to issue the mkdir command then this entire thread
> would never have started.  I began by using QzshSystem() to try and
> simply create a directory.

I was referring to the mkdir() API, not the QzshSystem API.   mkdir() is
a much easier API to use from an RPG program.  More info here:

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs_ebook/mkdir.html

> > In order to make it run without using STRQSH, you'd have to set up the
> > descriptors 0,1,2 which are expected to always work for a Unix program.
> > RPG doesn't do that for you by default (though, ILE C or Java probably do)
>
> Now I think we're getting somewhere.  I stupidly assumed that the API
> would handle the necessary grunt work so that I could issue QSH
> commands.

It would, if you were running it from Java :)   Note that the QSHELL APIs
aren't listed under "Programming/APIs" in the information center, but
rather they're listed under Programming/Java/QSHELL

> Maybe I'm too basic for this work.  It doesn't matter to me if the
> commands are Unix or not, in fact I think they should be native OS/400
> commands.  Copying a directory and it's contents in a supported file
> system from an application written in a native language should be easy,
> period.  I'm using the Unix style commands and QSH because I have
> basically no other option.

Can't you use the OS/400 CPY command via QCMDEXC?  Something like:

     CPY OBJ('/datacds') TODIR('/somewhere/else') SUBTREE(*ALL)

Personally, I think the Unix commands are more intuitive, but then I spend
a lot of time in FreeBSD, since I use it as an alternative to Windows.