Yes, the 2 byte area is implicitly defined.

If I have a variable length field defined to the program, and it's yet to
be used, then
dsply %len(VarLen);  // should display 0
eval VarLen='Test';
dsply %len(VarLen);  // should display 4
/end-free
                          move  'Hi There'     VarLen
/free
dsply VarLen;  // should display 'Hi T'
/end-free
                          move  'X'            VarLen
/free
dsply VarLen;  // shold display 'Xi T'

Hey, if you want MOVE to do all of it's tricks with Move and MoveL and
have it truncate, etc; then to allow this then for the compiler writers to
do this they have to assume you know what you are doing with the move.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

G Armour <garmour400r@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/29/2003 08:15 AM
Please respond to RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries