Wow Joe!  That's reading an awful lot into the simple suggestion that Booth
check out the online manuals!  Was there something wrong with offering that
piece of advice? Many people had already offered the answer on the correct
way to use that BIF, why would I have wanted to repeat that advice?

I'm a huge believer in the biblical adage:  "Give a man a fish and he'll eat
for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.".  I always
prefer to show someone how they can find the answer on their own, where
possible, rather than just regurgitate the answer for them from a book they
could have looked in on their own if they'd thought of it.  I have an intern
I work with who is always pestering me to give him the answer to whatever
his current problem is because he doesn't want to take the time to look it
up.  I never do that. I always tell him how he can find the answer and where
to look, and when necessary, help him in subtle ways to discover the
solution on his own. That way he remembers it the next time. (That's the
theory any way....).  Same thing here.  If Booth's question had been
something like,  "Is it possible to substring the middle 3 characters one
variable into the last three characters of the first variable?",  I probably
would have answered "yes and given him an example".  But a question such as,
"How do I substring the middle 3 characters from one variable intot he last
three characters of another variable?" is a perfect opportunity to point out
that the solution can be found online in just a few moments.  "Give versus
Teach".

But that's just my opinion.

 I'm wondering why you felt the need to take this so personally on Booth's
behalf when he didn't seem to object to it particuarly.

Ah well...many people make the world go round....

Shannon O'Donnell