From: Bob cozzi [mailto:cozzi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 11:18 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Character to Numeric can it be cleaned up

You do NOT have to use MOVE to get a character value into a numeric field or
vis versa.
My RPG ToolKit (www.rpgiv.com/toolkit) uses an MI instruction to provide the
CharToNum() function that works at V4R4 and alter levels. There are also a
few other routines posted on the web to do the same thing (including one
that I wrote). IBM can't do everything at once (although I wish they would
<g>)) so you may either (A) have to create your own routines or (B) buy a
3rd party add-on library for RPG. So I don't see a problem here.

Bob Cozzi
Cozzi Consulting
www.rpgiv.com