And the Varying version.....:

p Mcentra         b                   export
d Mcentra         pi           256a   Varying
d InString                     256a   Varying Const
d nOrgLen         s              5i 0
d nDataLen        s              5i 0
d blanks          s            256a   Varying Inz
d szData          s            256a   Varying
c* Capture length of original input field
c                   Eval      nOrgLen = %Len(InString)
c                   if        nOrgLen < 1
c* If the input string is empty, return an empty (blank)
value.
c                   return    ''
c                   endif
c* Strip off the leading and trailing blanks from input
string
c                   Eval      szData = %Trim(InString)
c                   Eval      nDataLen = %Len(szData)
c* Set blank-count to number of leading blanks required.
c                   Eval      %Len(blanks) =
c                             %Int((nOrgLen-nDataLen)/2)+1
c                   Return    blanks + szData
p Mcentra         e