> Based on my last comment, has anybody else run into problems with mixing
> fixed length character variables and VARYING when sending parms to a sub
> proc?  Or problems when using VARYING variables with C API's?

There are no C APIs that use VARYING!   VARYING isn't even available to C
programmers, unless they wanted to implement it manually with a data
structure or something like that.

Therefore, never pass VARYING to a function from the ILE C runtime.  Use
options(*string) instead.

I know that you define a VARYING field by putting a "A" in col 40 of your
D-spec.   However, despite this, it's a completely different data type
than your typical fixed-length alphanumeric field.  Just as packed and
zoned aren't the same, varying is also different from alphanumeric.
You can't just combine the two! (unless of course you're passing a
parameter by CONST or VALUE, and then -- just like numeric fields -- the
system will do conversions for you.)