I've never tried a communications trace between two sockets on the same
machine but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

 |  > The communication is in fact between 2 servers on the
 |  same iSeries where one acts as a client to the other.
 |

 |  > Is it possible to do a communications trace between 2
 |  such sockets?
 |  >

Here's how to trace a socket connection:
(on V4R4 at least, the menu options may be different on more current
releases)

strsst

select "Start a service tool"

select "Work with communications trace"

a workwith screen is presented

select "F6=Start trace"

   for the "configuration object" enter the line description used by the
TCP/IP interface
   (choose "Work with TCP/IP Interfaces" from the CFGTCP menu to determine
the line)

   fill the other prompts and press enter to continue

   you can then select various filtering options.  I usually choose "IP
address data", let's go with that

   you are prompted for the remote IP address  (in this case the remote &
local address will be the same, unless the machine is multihomed)

The creates and starts the trace and returns you to the "Work with
communications trace" screen.

Run your application.  After the test period, end the trace.

Choose the "Format and print trace" option.

   Select either ASCII or EBCDIC.  I've found that *CALC may not give the
results you want.
   There is a list of "format" options, set them all to No except "Format
TCP/IP data only" which should be set to Yes.

   press enter to continue to a panel where you enter the remote IP address
and the As/400 IP address  (in this case you may want to enter the 400's
address into just one address and enter the port number - see the help text)

A spoolfile is generated showing the data passing between the two endpoints.
By running the trace this way most of the extraneous stuff will be excluded
from the report and you will be able to more clearly see the "payload", the
application data.

Exit from SST and retreive your spooled report.  Follow the conversation
between the two endpoints, things may not be happening the way you believe
they are.

Good luck!

Tom Daly