From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Naughton
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 8:30 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Compile error

Hi Tim,

This is not a direct answer to your question, but why not take a step
back and drop the requirement that you read the data into the data
structure directly.  Since you have the DS externally defined with the
same field names, if you read the data into the record format (as you
normally would), all the fields in the DS will be automatically
populated. You can then use the array you have defined over the DS for
whatever you want.

As the article Walter referenced points out, you can gain some benefits
in V5R2 by reading directly into the DS, but if all you need to do is
populate the fields while ensuring they're contiguous, using an
externally defined DS but still reading into the record format will work
just fine.

hth,

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst