You're referring to writing it in pure Java, how that would hurt
performance, right?

Instead of using pure Java, they could write it in C or C++ using the GTK
toolkit.  http://www.gtk.org

GTK can be compiled & run on Windows, Linux, other Unixes, MacOS X (which
is based on FreeBSD)

In this case, it's true that they'd have to compile it separately for each
OS (or, if they kept it open source, they could let you compile it
yourself) and that would be slightly less convienient than Java.

HOWEVER, with GTK you'd get the same performance, memory consumption, etc
that you would with a native C program running on those platforms.   From
the comments on the WDSCi mailing list and the system requirements, etc, I
don't think performance is a high priority.