From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 12:02 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: programming language genealogy

>You could probably lobby them to include it on the chart.  It does meet
>the criteria explained at the top.  But after they submitted it would
>probably be colored orange, (just to get your blood pressure up).

No, I dont seem to be a very good lobbyist.

I would classify RPG as a framework type of a language, while the ones on
the chart are procedural. ( but then, postscript is on the chart and that
has some framework aspects to it. )

In the original RPG framework, the programmer specified the files in one
location, filling in the prompts for how the file was to be used.  Same for
matching records, level breaks, and output header and detail.  Then in the
calcs there were conditioning indicators to control at what place in the run
cycle that code was to run.

Other computer companies back in the day did not have similar languages that
customers would use to get their systems to do useful work?

-Steve