On Sun, 11 May 2003, Joe Pluta wrote:

> I think extended printing support for RPG is not needed.  For extended
> pretty printing, I'd rather see support for XML/XSLT (including FOP) with
> the idea of letting a PC do the hard work of turning character data to
> pixels.  I'd rather not waste the very expensive cycles of the iSeries on
> something a PC can do nearly for free.  The only issue is for people who
> communicate directly from their iSeries to network attached printers, I'll
> be honest that I don't know the solution, but I wouldn't spend a ton of
> money fixing it, because strategically I think a dedicated PC is cheaper
> than the cycles you'll use on the iSeries.

Ick.  Trying to get rid of PCs I think will help people save money and
operate better than requiring them for printing.  I never want to depend
on a PC to get my printing done.

How about making printer files compilable to postscript or PDF?  For
example, you could have *SCS, *AFPDS, *PDF, and *PS.  It wouldn't require
any changes to RPG.  Let the AS/400 spooling system handle the things.

Comments?  I really like this idea.

James Rich