On Mon, 12 May 2003 15:52:07 -0400
 Buck Calabro <Buck.Calabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, maybe it's a bit different.  Stream files put
> enough people in a
> dither that it's an issue when teaching.  And there's a
> fair amount of
> education that's required to get people used to the
> environment - POST vs
> GET and so on.  No, that's not language-specific, but RPG
> + CGIDEV2 isn't as
> intuitive as Perl when it comes to writing CGI apps
> either.

I know this oh too well (stream files, get, post, etc).
 But I've used Perl for CGI as well, and I find CGIDEV2
more intuitive.  The templates and replacing data within
the template couldn't get any easier. Also, you don't have
to know if Get or Post was used when using CGIDEV2.  You
just say "get the variable named xxxx.."

--snip xml stuff--

Hey, fight fair.  :)  Actually, I agree.  RPG's place is
not parsing XML.  You need tree functionality for that.
 Something like C, Java, etc...

Building XML, maybe.  But then again I think we were
talking mainly about web apps..  XML is included, sure..
but I think that's beyond the scope of what we were
discussion.

Then again, Aaron has been really pounding on XML and RPG
for a while.  :)  I haven't had a chance to look at his
work yet, but he did post a link somewhere...

> Another example, try making a secure web site where you
> look at your bill
> online and pay for it there if you wish.  Doing that
> without servlets is
> hard, partly because it's rather difficult to secure a
> CGI-only page.  That
> is, it's readily spoofed with easily obtainable tools
> like GETURI.

Actually, not really.  I've helped a few companies use
GETURI to spoof servlets.  Session IDs, etc.. if it's in
the HTTP protocol/header, I can do it with GETURI.  That's
the point here... CGI and Servlets both spit out
HTTP/HTML/XML.  The end result of both CGI and Servlets are
the same in most cases.  (what would be something unique
that a servlet could spit out that CGI couldn't?)

> know you're not bent out of shape at using multiple
> languages, and I know
> you're enjoying the witty repartée.  But you have to
> agree with the
> statement that 'RPG is not THE BEST language for all
> functionality in all
> environments.'  I think that's all anybody's been trying
> to say, but I've
> been wrong before!
> Best regards,
>   --buck

I wish I had the time it seems others have to work on other
languages.  I don't.  :)  I guess I chose my path a few
years ago.  But, I'm still having a ball, keeping busy and
paying the mortgage!  And turning away work!

But I have never said RPG is the best language for all
functionality.  I have said it is a proven web application
language, though.  The problem is, people against RPG like
to compare worst case RPG with best case Java/Perl/etc...
etc..

Brad
www.bvstools.com