Scott,

The SQL precompiler has some limitations on how variables can be defined.
Given the problems it has with other things (such as data structures), I'm
guessing that it can't use a variable inside of a display or printer file
either.

Matt

<snip>
Dang.  I didn't know if this was the best way to go so I did alot more
reading last night and then defined the fields within a data structure and
now the compiler is complaining about my workstn definition.  Maybe I will
rethink this whole thing thru

~~ errors from compiler ~~
    19 FWEBHITS CF  E                    WORKSTN
======>         aac d  efffff        bbbbbbbghhh
*RNF0289 20 a      001900  Entry contains data that is not valid; only
valid data is
                           used.
*RNF2013 20 b      001900  The Device entry is not PRINTER, DISK, SEQ,
WORKSTN or
                           SPECIAL; defaults to DISK.
*RNF2003 20 c      001900  The File Type is not I, O, U, or C; defaults to
O if File
                           Designation is blank, otherwise to I.
*RNF2045 20 d      001900  The End-of-File entry is not valid; defaults to
blank.
*RNF2006 20 e      001900  The File-Format entry is not F or E; defaults
to F.
*RNF2007 20 f      001900  The Record-Length entry is not valid.
*RNF2016 20 g      001900  Position 43 of a File Description specification
is not
                           blank.
*RNF2023 30 h      001900  The keyword is not recognized; keyword is
ignored.
    20 F                                     SFILE(SFL1:RRN1)
======>                                      aaaaa
*RNF2401 20 a      002000  Keyword is not allowed for a DISK file; keyword
is ignored.
    21 F                                     INFDS(INFO)

</snip>