From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 6:15 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: OOing RPG was RE: open source rpg compiler

>PLEASE NO!  It is eventually going to lead to Hans reiterating his personal
>mantra that "only interpreted languages can be truly OO" and inevitably to
>"Python is the best language in the world".  This has nothing to do with
>RPG.  If you need to see whose objects are bigger, could you please find
>someplace else to do it?

What are you talking about?  Learning how other languages work applies
directly to RPG programming in that techniques that work well in one
language can often be mimiced in another.  A family of RPG procs can be
designed very effectively in an object like way, where they all start with
the object name ( Customer_ ) and the first parm of each proc is either a
key to the object or a data struct instance of the object.

And since IBM says we cant expect RPG to do everything that is needed, then
it is necessary for RPG programmers to read how something is done in other
languages.

If you are the moderator, you can tell me to shut up if you want.  But Hans
is a great source of knowledge and I read every one of his posts.  I was
very disappointed that David did not allow a python discussion on the
midrangeL list last week.

Steve