<Hans>
As far as trying to use newer technologies with RPG, if RPG is a
poor fit, then by all means use a different tool. For many newer
technologies, piling enhancements onto a traditional, compiled,
procedural language like RPG isn't always the best way to work.
</Hans>

I 100% agree with you, but I think you would be hard pressed to find many
AS/400 shops that have the time and staff capable of making that switch.  I
am finding myself writing extra stuff in RPG because it doesn't comunicate
with Java very well.  For instance if I write an email app in Java I _can
use those classes in RPG but I _don't_ because it is way to slow.  So I end
up putting the Java email app on an HTTP server as a servlet and then have
to write an RPG HTTP XML layer to talk with it (which is anything but
joyous).

<Hans>
Well, you can take the C++ approach and learn individual OO features
one at a time. But you still wouldn't be doing OO design and
programming. . .
</Hans>

Yes, you would be doing OO programming without even knowing it.  At least
with Java, you can't program in it without touching OO (from what I have
done anyway).  For instance, I have yet to create an interface, but I use
Sun's all the time (SQL related interfaces).

<Hans>
...It's not like moving from a fixed form RPG to a free
form RPG. It's a whole different way of thinking. It's practically
like a different religion, where even fundamental concepts of
reality may be different.
</Hans>

I wont disagree with you here.  It is a new way of thinking, but it makes
you such a better programmer as a result.  Even if you never get to use OO
languages.

Aaron Bartell