<Eric>
1) is OO merely a compiler feature, or is it a conceptual feature that must
be reflected in the underlying use of the language.  That is, if we could
take ANY langage and make it OO by changing the compiler, then why did we
end up with C and C++?
</Eric>
Don't have an answer for you on this one.

<Eric>
2) do you believe that C++ is/was a GOOD implementation of OO?  Or is it
saddled with a boat-load of baggage that makes it difficult to manage?  (The
point here is that sombody took a procedural language and made it OO.  Was
the resulting langage/compiler as well suited to OO programming as a true OO
language like perl or python????)
</Eric>

Took C++ in college for one class.  Couldn't tell you a lick about it now.
I can tell you that I really like how Java works though:-)

<Eric>
3) would backward compatibility be lost in the rush to OO-enable RPG?  I
don't see any way that you could implement the changes to RPG that you
propose, without radically changing the fundamentals of the language.  How
could you possible relax factor1 op factor2 syntax without requiring code
conversion and/or rewrite?
</Eric>

The cost of doing business.  If you need the new functionality then upgrade
to the latest and greatest compiler.  This is the same fight as /Free and we
have already discussed that.

<Eric>
4) how many programmers would be allowed to use it.  Is management ready to
port their legacy code into OO design?  I'd doubt that many would be sold on
this bill...  RPG applications have traditionally enjoyed low maintenance
costs and longer than normal lifespans.  Try to sell Joe Pluta on this, and
if you're successful I'll take a closer look. <g>
</Eric>

How do shops that have managers like that make any progress with new
technology?  If you don't need it don't use it.  If you need it then the
managers shouldn't complain about the time to learn it and the learning
curve involved.  I don't know if anyone could sell anything to Joe:-) (Eric
made me say it Joe:-)

Aaron Bartell

Well, let's define what we're talking about then....

My questions to you:
[...]

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)