rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Rick,

I got it working with:
     D FLWORKREC       DS                  likerec(flworkr)
     D pDuh            s               *   inz(%addr(flworkrec))
     D duh             ds                  based(pDuh)
     D  col                          15p 4 overlay(duh:39) dim(389)

I would dearly love to know how the team came up with "Let's allow subfields on an external data structure (EXTNAME), but not on a LIKEREC". In fact, since you can optionally specify a record format on EXTNAME, what was the point on creating LIKEREC in the first place?

Rob Berendt

I believe I answered that in another note. First, LIKEREC was meant as a short form for LIKEDS(EDS) where EDS is an externally described data structure. Second, it ensures that the data structure matches the record, which is important when coding a data structure as the result operand on record I/O.

Regarding adding subfields to externally described data structures, that "feature" goes back to RPG III.

Cheers! Hans