Hi Kim,

I don't really understand what the business with the display file is
about...   why have a display file that shows nothing but blanks?
You don't need that to display a program message on the screen.

But anyway, getting to your question:

> Help!  I am trying to use the QMHSNDPM API to send a message to the display.
> I've been reading all I can find about QMHSNDPM, but must be missing
> something.

Status messages only display while the program is active.   Your program
appears to display a message and then end.   Since the message is only
displayed while the program is running, it immediately disappears after
being displayed.

> So far, all I get is a meassage flash on the screen.  How can I get the
> message to stay on the screen in the context of the code samples below?

I understand you want it to stay...   but, what happens after your program
ends?   Do you go back to the command-line?   if so, you probably want a
*COMP message.    If you're trying to report a "something failed" type of
error, you probably want an *ESCAPE message.

If your goal is to display the message while a program is running, to
show the status of that program, then *STATUS is the correct type of
message -- but you need to send the message from within the program
who's status you're describing.

Of course, since this is a handy routine to use, I like to package it into
a service program...  Since my service program remains it memory until
the activation group ends, the status messages work fine.