Mike wrote:

>> What should I be doing then when converting a (no decimal)
>> numeric to text and vise-versa? I use that all the time as
>> a quick convert to number and back.

Joe added:
>Because the free programmers think it's ugly, so you
>should change your programming style.  That's the gist
>of the argument on this point.

Well I'm going to take advantage of a technicality: the subject line still
says opinions wanted!  I think I should change my style not because of /free
or because MOVE is bad but because encapsulating the _business function_ is
better than leaving it to hang in the mainline.  I can't use /free in
production code because I support back-release customers, so this isn't a
/free vs. columnar debate for me.

Mark said:
>So I have to code a procedure, put it in a service
>program, then code to the service program in order
>to replace 1 line of code.  Sorry, that to me
>is not very forward thinking.

As has been noted in the past by several people, creating a subprocedure for
every line of extant code is not the most intelligent use of one's time.
Common functions are another story.

Mike wants to know what to do in /free in the case of a 'quick convert to
number and back.'  Let's continue the discussion in practical terms, since
the various philosophies have been presented.  Nobody converts char to num
and back just for kicks; there's a business problem being solved.  Mike:
could you post some code along with the business problem it is intended to
solve?  A new thread and subject line would be a great idea...
  --buck