V5R2 is supposed to allow the use of a data structure on an externally
defined file.

Must be me?

I verified that we are using TGTRLS(*CURRENT) and we are running V5R2.

     FFLWORK    IF   E           K DISK
      * Describe FLWORK Record to get Amount Columns in an array

      // if you change the dimension of the array you must:
      // a) Change the ending position of colalpha
      // b) Change the dim() statements
     D FLWORKREC     E DS                  EXTNAME(FLWORK:*input)
     D  colalpha              39   3150a
     D  col                          15p 4 overlay(colalpha) dim(389)
      * FLWORK Key List

     C     FLWORKey      KLIST
     C                   KFLD                    CO
     C                   KFLD                    LOC
     C                   KFLD                    ACT
      /free
       Chain(e) FLWORKey FLWORK FLWORKREC;
      /end-free
results in:
 Msg id  Sv Number Message text
*RNF5155 20      1 The Result-Field operand is not allowed for specified

                   operation.

Message . . . . :   The Result-Field operand is not allowed for specified

  operation.
Cause . . . . . :   The Result-Field operand must not be specified for a
READ,
  READE, READP, READPE, CHAIN, WRITE or UPDATE operation when the Factor 2

  operand is the name of an externally-described file or record. The
  Result-Field operand is omitted.
Recovery  . . . :   Omit the Result-Field operand. Compile again.

cume=TL03077
WRKPTFGRP
PTF Group             Level  Status
SF99519                  47  Installed