> From: Douglas Handy
>
> Try the RPG Reference Manual :)
>
> Hans and/or Barbara have also stated as much on this list and elsewhere.
>
> The problem is lack of space in fixed format specifications.  For
> example, take
> the file operations like CHAIN.  In fixed format, you can only
> specify a field
> name or a klist name as the search argument.
>
> In free-form you can do those OR a list of values (a:b:c+2), or %KDS().

Yes, but if you extended the various commands to support the extended factor
2, this argument would evaporate.  And it's not like you're adding any new
concepts; all the parsing is already being done for free-form.

So, I propose an (x) extender for all supported opcodes (such as CHAIN)
which would make the extended factor two have the same syntax as "the rest
of the line" in free format.  This would allow fixed-format folks (who need
the MOVE instruction, or whatever else) to take advantage of all the nice
new BIFs, while at the same time provide a clear upgrade path.

There's no dual maintenance, since the code already exists, so that's not an
issue.  Instead, it's providing a great deal more flexibility, removing
possible conflicts between the two syntaxes and allowing a cleaner migratory
path.

Joe