Joel Fritz wrote:

> IIRC, programs compiled in the Default Activation Group use the old style
> static memory model.  When you're compiling DFTACTGRP(*NO), among other
> things you're enabling your programs to use automatic variables and heap
> memory which are necessary for subprocedures.

Joel, DFTACTGRP(*NO) programs use the same static memory model, although
the way the static storage is reused by the system does differ(*).  Even
DFTACTGRP(*YES) programs have some automatic storage used for
compiler-generated stuff.  Heap storage is available for DFTACTGRP(*YES)
programs via ALLOC, REALLOC etc.

(*) I'm not completely clear on the details of how the static storage is
reused.  If I recall correctly, when RCLRSC is done, the static storage
for DFTACTGRP(*YES) programs is made available to the system.  For
DFTACTGRP(*NO) programs (not srvpgms, though) running in the dft AG,
their storage is not reclaimed, but is just marked as needing
initialization next time the program is called.  When DFTACTGRP(*YES)
RPG programs end with LR on, the static storage is also released back to
the system.