Richard B Baird wrote:
Five pin bowling? new math Hans?

i've bowled nearly all of my life, and never heard of such an animal.

10 pin standard "amerkin kegglin" for me baybee BEER FRAME! ;)

rick

Rick: Although 10-pin bowling is pretty much universal, there are several regional variations on the game. 5-pin bowling is common throughout most of Canada, and in Toronto, many alleys have only 5-pin lanes. What's the difference? First, the balls are smaller, in the 5 pound range, and the pins are smaller. You get up to 3 shots per frame instead of 2. And the pins have different point values: 5 for the head pin, 3 each for the neighboring pins, and 2 each for the corners, for a total of 15. Scoring is pretty much the same as 10-pin - for each frame you count the total pin-fall for 3 shots.

There are some interesting consequences of the rules. First, since the balls aren't as heavy, men and women are more evenly matched in mixed leagues. Also, in 5-pin it is possible to throw the ball down the middle of the alley such that it goes through the pins without knocking any down! Although it's rare, I've seen it done twice, and it's freaky.

After playing 5-pin for the past few years, 10-pin now looks very strange, and now I wonder how that humongous ball can ever leave any pins standing!

Cheers! Hans