>I dunno, Buck.  If I followed the one proc/one page rule, I'd
>have hundreds of procs for a given application, each having
>logic that wouldn't be used anywhere else.

Yes.  This is about all I can say without pushing the limits:

Machine code = tedious and error prone.  Much
  repetition required to do the most mundane tasks.
Macro assembler = macros capture many mundane tasks
  and abstract out common functionality.  Mainline
  code still voluminous.
RPG = opcodes abstract higher-order functions that
  macros & many assembler opcodes used to do.
  Mainlines assemble many opcodes to perform
  business functions.
Procs = abstract even higher-order functions (business
  level) that many opcodes used to do.  Mainlines
  assemble many procs (but fewer than opcodes did)
  to perform business functions.

  --buck