Carl that is the way I did it a long time ago.

PGM PARM(&SBS &LIB)
DCL &NBR *CHAR 4
DCL &TOT *CHAR 4
DCL &SBS *CHAR 10
DCL &LIB *CHAR 10
DCL &LEN *CHAR 4
DCL &ACT *CHAR 10
DCL &SPACE *CHAR 100
DCL &SBSLIB *CHAR 20
DCL &ERROR *CHAR 8 (X'0000000000000000')
   CHGVAR %SST(&SBSLIB 1 10) &SBS
   CHGVAR %SST(&SBSLIB 11 10) &LIB
             CHGVAR     VAR(%BIN(&LEN)) VALUE('100')
             CALL       PGM(QWDRSBSD) PARM(&SPACE &LEN SBSI0100 +
                          &SBSLIB &ERROR)
             CHGVAR     VAR(&NBR) VALUE(%SST(&SPACE 73 4))
             CHGVAR     VAR(&TOT) VALUE(%BIN(&NBR))
             CHGVAR     VAR(&ACT) VALUE(%SST(&SPACE 29 10))
             SNDPGMMSG  MSGID(CPF9898) MSGF(QCPFMSG) MSGDTA('The +
                          number of jobs active in ' || &SBS *BCAT +
                          'is ' || &TOT || ' & the sbs is ' || &ACT)
END: ENDPGM
-------------------------
CMD        PROMPT('Number of Jobs in Subsystem')
PARM       KWD(SBSNAME) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) MIN(1) +
             PROMPT('Subsystem Name')
PARM       KWD(LIBRARY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) DFT(*LIBL) +
             PROMPT('Library Name')

 Bryan Dietz
3X Corporation

Mike,

you can use the Retrieve Subsystem Information API for that. It returns a
return value string, which can be disected in CLP, too.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.