One might argue that if the CL calls the RPG then perhaps it should be
called PGM0010 and the RPG PGM0020, but if the RPG calls the CL then
perhaps it should be called PGM0010 and the CL PGM0020.  Because, if you
are using one source file, such as QPGMSRC, then wouldn't that make more
sense then suffixing one with a R and the other with a C?  Your editor
will pick up the right syntactical checker and compiler based on the
member type (or make a reasonable effort for those using modules, etc).

One time when I can see adding a suffix on to a program is in the case of
trigger programs.  I used to name my trigger programs after the file.
Well, there are a plethora of reasons to have the trigger program in the
same library as the physical file.  And the first time you mess up, modify
your trigger program on your test machine and do a SAVOBJ/RSTOBJ without
specifying *PGM and you clobber your live file with your test file, you
learn really fast.

Now if you're used to adding suffix's to your files (thinking printer
and/or display files), it may be a slight change in paradigm to start
adding the suffix on the program (when you're thinking trigger programs
and physical files).

I suppose you might change the defaults to SAVOBJ to *USRIDX or some
rarely used object.  But then this might cause some save/restore concerns.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/27/2003 03:05 PM
Please respond to RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries