Arturo,

Some loose comments from me.
The result sets should be parsed per record to be converted into XML.

The best ooption is to have one SQL statement with many LEFT OUTER  JOINS and
somewhere in the process you have to deal with the null values returned.

The resulting XML document should comply to the XML scheme it is based on. This
means that at level two in your example level three can 0 to many occurences.
the result set will return as many records that are in level three, but level
two may only appear once in the XML documnet at that point.

More questions, too:
How are you going to aproach the AS/400 as server (ODBC, JDBC, other)?
Where are you intend to build the XML document (output to the IFS and pick it
up from there)?

The setup you have given now is rather vague (and with five result sets I fear
for performance).

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler